- Actos Bladder Cancer Class Action Lawsuit Investigation
- Zithromax Z-Pak Azithromycin Class Action Lawsuit Settlement Investigation
- Zoloft & SSRI Antidepressant Birth Defect Class Action Lawsuit Investigation
- Vaginal Mesh Sling Class Action Lawsuit Investigation
- Kidney Dialysis Heart Attack, GranuFlo & NaturaLyte Recall Class Action Lawsuit Settlement Investigation
- Yaz/Yasmin, Ocella & Beyaz Birth Control Class Action Lawsuit Settlement Investigation
- NuvaRing Birth Control Class Action Lawsuit Settlement Investigation
- Chantix Suicide Heart Attack Class Action Lawsuit Settlement Investigation
- Pradaxa Internal Bleeding Class Action Lawsuit Investigation
- Unum/UnumProvident Disability Insurance Claim Denial Class Action Lawsuit Investigation
- Mesothelioma Asbestos Class Action Lawsuit Settlement Investigation
- Metal on Metal Replacement Hip Implant Class Action Lawsuit Investigation
- Stevens Johnson (SJS) & Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis (TEN) Class Action Lawsuit Investigation
- Propecia Loss of Sex Drive, Sexual Dysfunction Class Action Lawsuit Settlement Investigation
- Securities Fraud, Stock Fraud Investment Class Action Lawsuit Investigation
- Fosamax Femur Fracture, Jaw Death, Esophageal Cancer Class Action Lawsuit Investigation
- National Arbitration Forum Class Action Settlement
- Attorney Generals Oppose DirectBuy Class Action Settlement
- Additional 15 Law Schools Could Face Class Action Lawsuits Over Job Stats
- Supreme Court Issues Blow to Consumer Class Actions
- Porn Studios Victimize Random IP Address Owners, Class Action Lawsuit Says
- Thursday, 27 February 2014 18:19
JPML Approves Lipitor Diabetes MDL
By Shawn Coates
The rapidly growing number of lawsuits against Lipitor manufacturer Pfizer Inc. has prompted the U.S. Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation to agree to centralize all Lipitor diabetes lawsuits filed against Pfizer in the U.S. federal court system. The lawsuits allege that the popular cholesterol drug caused users to develop type-2 diabetes, a potential side effect that Pfizer allegedly knew about but failed to warn consumers.
In an order issued on Feb. 18, the JPML declared all pretrial proceedings to be centralized before U.S. District Judge Richard M. Gergel in the U.S. District Court for the District of South Carolina, where the new Lipitor MDL has been formed.
Oral arguments for a motion to consolidate the Lipitor diabetes lawsuits began in early February. After hearing both sides, the panel determined that due to the rapidly increasing amount of Lipitor lawsuits filed against Pfizer, it would be in everyone's best interest to centralize the cases.
By centralizing the management of Lipitor lawsuits, the court can avoid encountering duplicative discovery and avoid possible conflicting rulings given from different judges.
The JPML originally denied a request to centralize the Lipitor lawsuits in July 2013, as there were not enough lawsuits filed at the time -- only a few dozen throughout the country.
Throughout 2013, more and more Lipitor diabetes lawsuits were filed that shared similar allegations, so a group of plaintiffs filed a renewed request for centralization of the Lipitor lawsuits in October 2013.
During the second motion, the JPML had 56 Lipitor diabetes lawsuits to consider, with 14 of them having already been filed in South Carolina federal court. The panel heard oral arguments that at least another 170 cases have been filed in recent weeks that could be transferred to the Lipitor MDL.
It is estimated that thousands more Lipitor diabetes lawsuits will be filed as attorneys constantly view new cases filed daily by women diagnosed with type-2 diabetes, allegedly as a direct result of Lipitor.
Are You a Lipitor Diabetes Victim?
Were you prescribed Lipitor before Feb. 1, 2012, and then diagnosed with type-2 diabetes? Your diabetes may be caused by the cholesterol drug. If this happened to you, you might qualify for a free legal review. Learn more about your options at the Lipitor Diabetes Class Action Lawsuit Investigation today. Once you submit your story, a personal injury lawyer will contact you if you have a case for a complimentary Lipitor claim review.
All class action and lawsuit news updates are listed in the Lawsuit News section of Top Mass Torts
Top Class Actions Legal Statement